Thursday, May 7, 2009

Some highlights From the Students:

Kathy Kallis
We have had a good Parrot experience and a bad parrot experience at two different billets. One parrot only squawks and occasionally whistles, but the other parrot can sing ‘Jesus Loves me’, say his name and likes chocolate covered biscuits!

Tracy Doerksen
A huge highlight was singing in Buckfast abbey. When we sang I felt a spiritual connection to the past and to us. As our voices echoed off of the stones, it felt like the stones also absorbed our harmonies and we became part of the Abbey. After we sang I discovered that the abbey was built by four men. It reminded me that we can do so much if we never give up. I was humbled and reminded of my unwillingness to write a 10-page paper, yet these four men built an entire cathedral. After discovering this it gave me a deeper connection and I felt that we became part of the chorus of the past through the stones. It felt Holy.

Janelle Thiessen
We went on a tour of the Globe (in London). I loved that. It was opening night of Romeo and Juliet and we just made it in time for the last tour before their first performance. We got to see the stage set-up it was really cool.

Candace Unrau
You always hear about how big the pipe organs are in Cathedrals. And then to actually see them was incredible. The pipes ARE actually big enough for people to crawl into. Hearing the organ voluntaries and at times being able to see the organists hands because of mirrors was wonderful. They just learn an incredible amount of music each week. I’ll work on a piece for months and these people are playing something different each week!

No comments:

Post a Comment